Saturday, February 27, 2010

From Quiet Arms and Flashbulb Fires rock the Bottleneck Wednesday night, then Mountain Sprout throws down on Friday at the Bottleneck

It was another wild week at the Bottleneck!

Wednesday night, my friend from works' band, From Quiet Arms opened for Flashbulb Fires, a rock band from Denver.
From Quiet Arms got the lions' share of the crowd, because they're a local band, with a steady following. Their passionate, harmonic rock songs pull at your heart strings and get your head banging. They jammed hard. In fact, too hard, because at one point one of the guitarists broke a string on his guitar.
Flashbulb Fires demonstrated some obvious talent. They were in town a few nights, playing at other venues, I heard. But, at the Bottleneck on Wednesday they had virtually no one in front of the stage to listen. Obviously it's always hard when a small band comes to a new town, but I was surprised that they didn't at least hold the crowd that was there for From Quiet Arms.
In any case, From Quiet Arms played a fantastic set, and I can't wait for their next show. There's rumor that the band may change their name. If they do, I'll be sure to clarify on this blog, so you know the band I'm talking about.

Friday night, Mountain Sprout was playing with Adam Lee & Dead Horse Sound Company, and Tin Horn Molly,
I missed the opening bands, chilling at a friends' house. But when I made it, Mountain Sprout was playing and my friends were all on the dance floor.
Mountain Sprout virtually always plays an amazing set, and this night was no different. They played all my favorites. Their songs can be lewd, crude, but always a riot. They're usually either fun to sing along to, or easy to dance to. A Mountain Sprout show is like a really great party, with everyone drinking heavy, and dancing carefree. The band encourages all the hedonism necessary to get a crowd krunk. Sure enough, we were all swaying to the songs with a little more oomph to the songs by the end of the night. Over all, it was a fantastic night.

I still need to look ahead on the calendar to figure out what shows I'll be excited to see. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment