Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Entrance Band recreates the 60s better than a time-machine, and a Doors tribute band called Moonlight Drive attempts the same thing at Jazzhaus

Okay, long title, I know. It pretty much sums up this review, but for more, read on;
My night started with me jamming at a friend's. Wes is very good at his electric guitar, with a lot of Tool and Nine Inch Nails influence in his style. Following along on the Bass is great practice for me. And together with Wes' friend on a drum, we actually jammed out some really good little songs.

But that wasn't enough music for me. I had heard about Moonlight Drive playing Doors songs at the Jazzhaus, and thought that sounded like fun, and I also expected to see some friends there. Sadly, when I arrived the band was going, with a full crowd on the dance floor, and the bar was pretty busy, but not a single friendly face was in sight.
After listening a short while, I saw that the band had a competent recreation of the Doors' own sound as well as the songs themselves.
However, I noted with much displeasure that the crowd consisted of a great deal of older folks, deep into, or even beyond middle-age, crossed with a thick helping of preppy frat-boys and sorostitues in their North Face jackets.

I had read about The Entrance Band in The Pitch at work today, and so when I saw they were playing at the Jackpot tonight, I was tempted to stop by there if the Jazzhaus was no good. Since the crowd at the Moonlight Drive show sucked, I opted to go see an even more interesting band at a slightly less preppy venue. Deciding between replays of oldies, and new music of a related genre, I choose the new any day. I mean, if I want to hear the Doors, it's as easy as playing my iTunes. But The Entrance Band has few songs online, and they're new and growing, so I'm excited to say I saw them live at the intimate venue they played.

I've met the manager of the Jackpot, Emily, before when she worked at The Reply Lounge across the street. She and her crew at the Jackpot have to deal with a lot of people in a small space, and it can get tedious. I can sympathize, but the Photobooth between the bar and the stage is a little much. I mean, all these vain, drunk, obnoxious people line up to cram in the tiny booth, with the flimsy curtain half-drawn to block NONE of the flash of the camera as it blinds the audience in the already-tiny, already-cramped venue. It's ridiculous.
I missed one of The Entrance Band's opening bands, Lights, or Continents. I can't be sure what band I saw that was made up of three beautiful ladies, one on drums, one on electric guitar and vocals, and one on electric bass. But they were great!
As I was finding a few friends I recognized at the Jackpot, I saw the members of The Entrance Band walking around the bar.
To my horror and disgust, the guitarist/singer reeked like a rotten pumpkin filled with roadkill. At first; trying to comprehend that foul odor, I wondered if there was any way I could forgive such a stench. Fortunately when the band came on, the music quickly overcame the smell. One sense can override another, at times, and thank god for that. The singer/guitarist also took off his shirt when on stage, and I've never been made to feel sick, but, the heavy psychedelic rock got me lost in the awful, deep dents in the scrawny musician's ribcage, as he shrieked and moaned into the microphone.
The band comes together with the bassists' wicked lines, the drummer's heavy beats, and the guitarist's sick riffs, sometimes accented by - other times tainted by - the guitarists "androgynous singing" to quote lawrence.com's preview of the band.

Indeed, The Entrance Band got down hard, with their heavy, trippy, psychedelic rock. The band members' hair, clothes (or lack thereof), the crazy visuals played from a projector, across the band, combined with their epic, awesome, hardcore music, REALLY made me feel like I had traveled through space and time to some 60's rock show in California. I have a great admiration for the young band members' talent and exquisite taste. I have put them on the top of my list of new music I want to get on my computer.

I want to go on, but it's very late and I really am no good at describing music, but I just have to insist that The Entrance Band is something else, and you have to check them out. Their biggest hit, Grim Reaper Blues, is on youtube, and you can see just what they're all about in that one song. But every song is great and different. I hope to someday see this band at a festival. They are originally from L.A., and I have growing aspirations to someday live in L.A., and hope to see them there!

Now to previews:

Saturday, February 13, Bela Fleck is playing at Liberty Hall. Doors open at 8. But tickets are a pretty penny. Lawrence.com says the tickets will cost between 35 and 56 dollars. A lot, if you're me right now. So...We'll see about that one. But Bela Fleck is awesomely talented, like, the Jimi Hendrix of Banjo.

Then, Friday, February 19, Galactic and Karl Denson's Tiny Universe are playing at 9 for $19-21. I LOVE electronic shows and there are never enough of them. I think I'm going to be VERY ready for this show, so I look forward to it very very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment