Sunday, February 21, 2010

Galactic funks up the Granada, while The Floozies and Future Shock jam at the Jazzhaus

My friday was long and crazy. After a full day at work, I visited some friends who live around the corner from the Granada, where Galactic was playing that night.
I arrived too late for the opener: Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, but I heard they were awesome.
Galactic took some time to get their sound checked, and to get out and play. BUT, once they were playing they raged it hard, and never slowed down.

The jazz-rock-jam band has a skilled drummer that keeps beats hot and dance-able, the guitarist has so many riffs and sick jams I could hardly believe it. Then there's the saxophone, which gives the band a special sound, like a particular, delicious flavor, that you just can't find in any other band.
For the performance in Lawrence there was also a Trombone playing rapper from New Orleans. I'm having trouble finding out who he is, but he led the band through the majority of their songs with limitless energy.
At one point not long into the band's set, the Trombone player climbed off the stage while still playing his trombone, walked across the venue, and climbed up onto one of the bars (The Granada boasts 4 bars during huge shows, with their main bar supported by bars on either side of the wide, open venue, and a bar on the upstairs balcony), and he just kept playing. It was insane.
The band's songs went through heavy grooves, funky melodies, and changed through a variety of sounds, from heavy, Rage Against The Machine rocking, to jazzy Miles Davis-esque solos, to party-style Rapping with the Trombone player leading the crowd; "Everybody say hell yeah!" and the crowd would roar back "Hell Yeah!"
The music went on forever, but when the band finished their encore at 1:30, my friends' show at the Jazzhaus was still going.

The vast majority of my friends were at Galactic, and out of all of them, I'd say about 80% came along to the Jazzhaus for the "aftershow".
I heard Future Shock was playing at the Jazzhaus, but I believe when I arrived they had traded some band members, so a few members of the Floozies were joined in. My friends from the Floozies played fantastically and the show was the perfect follow-up to Galactic's set.
Everyone used their second-wind or just kept the momentum from Galactic until The Jazzhaus was throwing us out.

Leaving the parking garage to go home, some friends pulled up next to me, telling me where the after-afterparty was. I went along and had a great time, playing bass, and meeting a few new people, while chilling with some friends I don't see enough.

The next night was almost as wild, and certainly more exhausting...

No comments:

Post a Comment