Sunday, February 14, 2010

Somasphere shakes the Bottleneck open for Kitty D, and The Bootheel and Tyler Gregory rock out at the Replay, followed by classic Lawrence post-party

My title for this blog post was too long. The last word was going to be 'adventure!'
As if Friday night weren't wild and long enough, tonight would have to be near the edge of epic.

My adventures started when I got out of my apartment to visit my friend Spenser, then, before Brit's performance in The Vagina Monologues held at Hashinger Hall. She, Alex and I had a drink before she went on stage, which took the edge off being one of the only 6 guys in the room.

Then I went to The Bottleneck to see Somasphere. Sure enough, a ton of friends were at the show, and we had the front, right area of the dance-floor, and it was great fun. Somasphere works the bass, electric keyboard, and guitar to weave together a heavy, funky, flowing rhythm that no one can stand still to.
They REALLY remind me of Sound Tribe Sector 9 sometimes. Some of their grooves, a combination of heavy, hip-hop-y beats and jazzy melodies, are just like some of STS9's greatest hits. But you don't get the insane, rude, retarded crowds you get at STS9 shows.
I was already tipsy after the couple of beers I got, but when my friends got me a couple of shots, I was over the edge, and could hardly dance anymore.
Thankfully Spenser was down to hop to another bar, when Somasphere finished their set. They were actually the opening band for Kitty D, but I've never heard of Kitty D, and we left for the Replay before they came on.
At the Reply I saw a band inside the small, indoor part of the venue. I don't know if it was The Bootheel or Tyler Gregory playing, but they were great, and the crowd loved them, so it was easy to get into it, even though we arrived just in time for the last couple of songs.
Spenser and I met up with another gang of our friends from the same overall crew as the folks at the Bottleneck. Some of the girls were looking to stop by a party, and Spenser and I were going with the flow, and I had my first experience in a taxi in Lawrence. It was actually really cool.

The party we went to wasn't very good. But I got to run into another friend, Jake, who I had not seen in months. We went on back to the girl's house for a bit more of hanging out, and then Spenser and I finished with a little hang-out session back at his house again, before I walked back to my car.

At 4:05 in the morning I stood on Mass. Street near 9th, and looked up and down the sidewalk and street, and did not see another soul. I was all alone downtown. Right in the heart of the town. My town. Your town. Our town.
I stopped by Java Break for a cup of my favorite coffee-drink, a Snickers, cold, with no ice. And drove home to write these blogs.

Now I'm going to crash and sleep in tomorrow. I don't have work until Tuesday, thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment