Sunday, February 14, 2010

Electric Theory dominates the Waka Winter Classic at The Bottleneck Friday night

Friday night was a textbook example of the exciting nightlife of Lawrence that inspires me to write this blog.

Starting off my 3-day weekend with a car accident, I didn't think I would be in any mood to do anything all weekend - let alone Friday night - except venting my frustration on videogames in my apartment. But lo and behold I have such excellent friends that my night did not end until the morning began.

After getting home, I wound up over at a friend's hanging out. She and I then went to the Bottleneck to catch our friend Trevor's band playing in the Waka Winter Classic.
Some other friends of ours won last year, and performed Saturday at Wakarusa, in Arkansas, which was a GREAT show.
Trevor's band, Electric Theory (It might be 'Electronic', but for the time being I will stick with Electric because it's shorter) busted out some hip, funky beats and grooves. Their electronic jam songs are dance-able and fun, not to heavy and not too light.
They reminded me a tad of STS9, which is a very good thing to me.

A few of my good friends were there and the crew stuck together mostly, dancing front and center. But not long after Electric Theory finished their set, a friend invited me and Lydia to a party around the block. We headed there and found a 3-apartment-full party going on, centered around a keg, with our side of the family taking a break in one of the hosts' bedrooms with him to get away from it all.
Eventually we returned to the Waka Winter Classic where another electronic-y funky jam-band was playing. Sadly they were not nearly as good as Electric Theory.
I saw some friendly ladies dancing, and wanted to dance with them, but it's so frustrating when the music is undance-able. What can you do? Go to shows where the bands are good.

I don't know the name of the band, but let me just say, if anyone reads this and knows who I might be talking about, they were no good that night. Electric Theory was where it was at.
Sadly, I finally got sick of the crowd, and seeing the one lady I really don't care to run into these days in Lawrence, and having had a long, busy day, I called it a night early.
That day was a combination of great fun and terrible disappointments, but overall I look back on it with a smile.
The reason I didn't write this that night was because when I finally reached home I returned to the new video game I am addicted to, and played until 4:30 in the morning, before passing out.

And then the next night was even more exciting and classic Lawrence Nightlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment