Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mountain Standard Time and The Great American Taxi rage the Bottleneck

This is a day late, but that's because I've been so busy raging it since before this show. I'll immediately be following this review with a double-review from the two shows I went in-between tonight!

My friends Nikki and Jacob were excited for this show before I was. I had read about the show before they told me how good it would be, and the names caught my eye. Jacob played some songs from both bands before we walked to the Bottleneck, and I knew I was in for a great show.

Sure enough, the show was supposed to open at 9, and the opening band, Lettuce Inn had already finished, and Mountain Standard Time was on when we arrived at 10:30. Like the last show I saw at the Bottleneck, the crowd wasn't so huge that the venue wasn't packed, but a healthy crowd filled out the dance floor. A lot of pretty girls were there, and a few good friends too. The music was a blend of blue-grass and rock, since the instruments ranged from a lead electric guitar, to a banjo and electric mandolin.

New Belgium beer company has just come out with a new brew that's an IPA called Ranger. The Bottleneck got the new beer days before any other bar. There's supposed to be some kind of release-party for the beer in a week or two. Anywho, the beer is delicious and we also had a birthday among my friends that night, so Tyler and I had shots of some horrifically strong whiskey - Tyler works at a liquor store and is a connoisseur of all things alcoholic - and by the time The Great American Taxi took the stage, I was ready to get down.

Sure enough The Great American Taxi picked up where Mountain Standard Time left off, jamming hardcore and leading the crowd to get wild. Everyone was having a good time, and the music was pure talent. I don't know much about describing music, but let me just say that those songs were ridiculously good. I can hardly believe how cheap and small the show was, considering how great the bands were!

The opening band, Lettuce Inn, was said to be excellent, I'm sorry I missed them. I'll be keeping an eye out for any and all these bands playing around here again.

No comments:

Post a Comment