Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mardi Gras madness at the Bottleneck, Lawrence Kansas

This entry is pretty late. Been busy with work, and had a computer virus scare for a day and a half.
Thankfully that's all dealt with, and now I can return to what I love: previews and reviews of awesome music, entertainment and partying in Lawrence, Kansas!

So, Mardi Gras night I didn't get to the show I meant to go to. My friend's band, From Quiet Arms was playing at the Jackpot around 9. But at 9 exactly another friend of mine needed a ride home from a late-night test at school. It was freezing out, so I was happy to help him, and he was happy to return the favor by buying us both beers. We wound up watching Bruno, before I split for another friends' place.
My friend Lydia's boyfriend is in town for a week, so I went over to meet him and hang out for a bit. They told me about a show at The Bottleneck. My friends Garrett, Evan, Mark were reuniting their band G.E.M. (guess the name sake). It was a great opportunity to support some friends, hear great music, and party with my friends.
Better yet: it was only $2!
At The Bottleneck!
So, I couldn't resist. Lydia and her boy stayed home, but I went to the show, and sure enough, an army of my friends was on the dance floor. I think this whole last week, The Bottleneck has been my friend's source of great shows.

There we were, dancing around. The drummer from the band Mouth, and another guitarist switched places with the members of G.E.M. so the music kept going for quite a while.
G.E.M. sounds like an electronic jam band right out of a movie. They have a vibe and a harmony that you rarely see, even in big-name bands. Garrett plays the guitar like a master, Mark gets girl's booties shaking with his drums, and Evan makes beats and melodies with computers that could be mistaken for STS9 grooves. Altogether, they are a band to be seen. We danced out butts off.
For some reason when I arrived around midnight, the crowd on the dance floor was about four feet from the stage. I couldn't understand the perfectly evenly-spaced gap. I can only guess that everyone was reluctant to step into the spotlight, or be pressed near the stage, where they might feel like they had to face the band, instead of talking and dancing with each other.
After a couple of drinks, I decided to make a move, and led my friends to fill in the gap, dancing front and center, supporting our friends playing on stage.
It was awesome. Probably one of the coolest things I've ever done at a show, which isn't saying much I guess. But still.
After some great songs I decided this reunion was something worthy of a toast. Buying a round of shots for the boys, I got the extra one for myself. I hope G.E.M. will play together again, and if I hear about it in advance, I'll be sure to preview them here!

Now for PREVIEWS!

Galactic and Karl Denson's Tiny Universe are playing tomorrow night! The show is at the Granada, and according to Lawrence.com it will start at 9 and cost between $19-21. I have to be there. I've never seen Galactic, so I'm planning on focusing on the music, and letting everything else go. I remember the last time I wanted to see Galactic, I also wanted to see this girl I had recently met. She decided she didn't like electronic music, after saying she would go with me. So I went to her in Kansas City. What a waste. This time, no distractions. I can't wait! I'll be sure to tell you all about it after.
But if there's some kind of catastrophe, and they're sold out or something, there is another option. Both Friday and Saturday nights, there will be a fantastic combination of local electronic jam bands!

Friday and Saturday The Floozies, Mouth and Electronic Theory will be playing together at the Jazzhaus! The facebook event has 216 people have confirmed their RSVP. I said maybe, because I thought there might be another show each night, and sure enough there is. But the show is supposed to open at 9, and cost $4 each night. If I get bored, or a show ends early, I might swing by. It's hard to miss this awesome lineup, but it's just bad timing.

Then, Saturday night; Deadman Flats is playing at the Granada with Honey Suckle and Granny Tweed. The show's fliers said they were free admission, but that tickets cost $10, but Lawrence.com says 5. The website also says the show starts at 9.

Sunday I see on Lawrence.com that Alice In Chains are playing at the Midland Theater in Kansas City at 8 for $37.50. I doubt I'll go alone, but if I can persuade a friend, and fellow fan to go, that might be cool.

That's all for now. Tune in Saturday evening or Sunday...or Monday...for the next update, with reviews and more previews.

No comments:

Post a Comment