Thursday, March 4, 2010

March Madness weekend preview

So, it's a new month, and there's lots of shows to look forward to!
In the short term, my weekend is already booked:

Friday night I'm interested in seeing Boombox and EZ Brothers put down some funky jam tunes. I have never seen either performance, but heard Boombox' favorite song on their website, and it sounded like a party. Lawrence.com says it's $11, which is so-so for a Bottleneck show, but worth it if all my friends are getting down.
Some friends have already confirmed they're going, so I hope to meet up with them for pre-partying or an after-party. Thankfully I don't have work all weekend, so I'll be able to recover Saturday morning before getting ready to go out again a second night.

Saturday, Sonic Sutra is playing with Dirtfoot. These are two great, fun bluegrass jam bands that have wicked talent, and throw down for some fun-ass shows! I am very excited about this night, and will definitely be raging it with my crew, once again at the Bottleneck.
It really seems odd how many great shows the Bottleneck has been having this year, but I just have to hand it to them: they know how to satisfy a whole network of Lawrence people.
Lawrence.com doesn't have a cost estimate for this show. I'm guessing somewhere near 15, but whatever it is, I'm positive it will be worth it for the good times to be had.

Looking ahead I hear that The Wailers will be playing the Voodoo Lounge in KC, Friday, March 26.

Lastly, I have a special place in my heart for goth music. It's what got me through high school. So, when I hear that VNV Nation, one of the only "gothy" bands still doing national tours in the US was coming to town, I almost peed my pants. VNV Nation: 3 guys on synthesizers of various kinds, and a grump, shaven-headed Irishman singing, brought out more goth kids in Lawrence than I've ever seen in Kansas. I'm excited to get gothed up with some friends and check them out again on April 7th!

Hope to see you around the Bottleneck this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment