Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sonic Sutra opens the Bottleneck with funky jams and Dirtfoot gets the crowd wild with a powerhouse set

I have exciting news! I'm getting a position on Examiner.com writing a column called "Lawrence Guys Night Out"! I'll be writing about the same shows, concerts, bars, parties and events that I write about here, with full control and freedom to use my writing how and where I want. Therefore there is no conflict of interest with this blog.
That being said, this blog will continue as it has been, and I will use this place to be more personal, and also to practice what I mean to say, so I can write my Examiner articles with the professional style they want.

So, Friday night I meant to see Boombox and EZ Brothers at the Bottleneck, but, one thing after another came up, and when I passed by the Bottleneck around 10:30, I saw a line from the door, all the way to the street, consisting 100% of old, preppy people. Not really the Bottleneck crowd. Not really the Boombox, or EZ Brothers crowd. But there they were, all being stuck up and boring. So I left, and went from one friends' house to another. Everyone seemed to be chilling at home that night, with a few friends, sipping drinks. But I wanted something more, so I kept moving from one place to another.
Around 12:30 I stopped at the Jazzhaus, where I heard Sonic Sutra was opening for the Cosmopolitics. A couple of my friends were there, but had missed Sonic Sutra. I shrugged that off, knowing I'd see them the next day.
But Cosmopolitics were on, and jamming hardcore. The dancefloor was filled, and the bar was busy.
Unfortunately the crowd couldn't properly appreciate the dance-able jams, so I sat with my friends and simply enjoyed the music with their company, before calling it a night when the bar closed.

Last night was even more exciting!
Pre-partying at a friends before a show is always a good idea. It's fun and if the party is close to your destination, it's safe to walk, or use a designated driver. Drinking at home is a lot cheaper than at a bar, and it's sometimes more fun to be able to relax while you get your drink on before hitting the dance floor. My friends around the corner from the Bottleneck are always having people over before the good shows, so we kicked it there until about 10, when we made the short trek to the show.

It cost $7 for one of the best shows I've seen in Lawrence in a while, which impressed me greatly. I forgot how a great band can put on a fantastic show in a smaller venue, before they get too famous, and the fans reap the rewards.

Sonic Sutra is a local band made up of talented musicians who know how to choreograph their sounds to make a great variety of sounds to their songs. Their music has a classic rock harmony about it, with great vocals, impressive guitar solos, hip bass lines and tight drumming. Courtney Rose Smith sings vocals and also plays with a shaker and other percussion and rhythm instruments for different songs, just one example of how every song has it's own style and form, while the band always makes a strong blend.
The set was long, without dragging. Sonic Sutra must have played consistently funky, fun, dance-able songs for at least an hour and a half, with hardly a pause.
As Bottleneck regulars, a basically the most hardcore, badass, party-animals in town, my friends were front and center, holding it down on the dance floor for most of Sonic Sutra's long, but seamless set. The crowd sitting at the bleachers, booths, tables and leaning up against the bar appeared to be too old, self-conscious or unfamiliar to get down. But once Dirtfoot came on, the bar was full, and people who knew how to have fun joined us.

Dirtfoot is a band of professional musicians whose experience together has made them a phenomenon of bluegrass, jam and funk combined. They take pride in the music they play, and they play it well, at every show.
The blend of instruments, played with expert skill, is what makes Dirtfoot special. The lead singer and guitarist plays with boundless energy that exemplifies the bands' tone of wild fun. The bassist plays a stand-up bass, even using a bow for a couple of songs. Even the banjo player took up a bow for a song, which blew my mind.
The core of bluegrass instrumentation worked well with a drummer who played clever solos. On top of the regular drummer, keeping rocking dance beats, there's a second percussionist who used a variety of tambourines, pipes, and even a washboard to add spice to the songs.
To top it all off is the saxophonist, whose slick, veteran playing takes the band to a whole other level. When the saxophone doesn't bring the funk, the saxophonist brings out a clarinet, which can throw down harder that one might expect the woodwind to be capable of.
Dirtfoot puts on an especially fun show, because they know how to get the crowd involved. They pass out cans with dried beans rattling around inside, that the audience is encouraged to shake along to the steady beats. Many songs the band calls out for the crowd to sing a part, something short, like a reply or a holler that completes the chorus. Everyone is drinking and dancing, so it's not asking much for everyone to join in the songs themselves.
Dirtfoot's following must not be as big as it ought to be, because the set was ridiculously fun, but the bar was only comfortably full, not packed. The Bottleneck has hired a waitress who walks around the crowd, asking anyone if they need another drink. It makes it a little more convenient, when the dance floor is crowded or you don't want to fight for a bartenders' attention. As soon as Dirtfoot came on, the dance floor was full and it never quieted down. The band played almost two hours, without pause. Their range of music goes from rock and funk to bluegrass jams, but every tune is the kind of polished, refined quality that it's hard to believe they're still playing the Bottleneck for $7.
It's easy to get friendly at a fun show like Dirtfoot, and people are always prone to put together an after-party on a Saturday night. Sonic Sutra and their friends came over to two of my friends' house, where we played drinking games and hung out even later into the night.
But as I always will preach on this blog, even if I don't harp on it in the Examiner: what made this show really great for me, was being there with a great many of my good friends. Together, we make it less of a concert, and more of a party, and really, that's the way life should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment