Sunday, March 14, 2010

Previews of Monday, both the regular weekly events and some very special concerts, and Friday's coming shows

Having Sunday off work is not all it's cracked up to be. Sure it's great to be able to sleep in after a long day and a late night Saturday, but there's hardly ever anything to do!
So, bored to tears, I checked lawrence.com to see if there would be anything fun to do tomorrow night. And then I remembered, there's always one or two things to do out on the town on Monday nights, and this Monday is better than usual, with some pretty rare shows coming to town too! I wish I had the time and money to see everything. If only I had a fancy press pass, or something I'd hop from venue to venue, and see it all haha

So here's a preview of Monday, March 15:

Monday night is Karaoke night at the Jazzhaus. Karaoke night is usually a great time for friends to go out and be goofy together. The bar doesn't get too crowded, so there's no trouble getting a drink, and finding seats for any size group. The song lists for singing have a good variety of tunes, that almost everyone knows. People take turns either showing off their skills at a song they know a little too well, or making fun of themselves, with their friends cheering them on.
It only costs a dollar to get in, and Boulevard beer is on special.

A newer Monday night weekly gathering is the Mudstomp Mondays, where folk and bluegrass musicians and bands jam together for just two dollars. Each week the show starts at 8 p.m. and ends with a headliner at 11 p.m. The event is hosted by Hank Osterhout of the bluegrass band Deadman Flats, my favorite local bluegrass band. I've been meaning to go, but usually wind up at Karaoke night or someplace else. I'm not sure if this will be the week, but it's good to know it's there.

Meanwhile, there's a special show at the Bottleneck at 8 p.m., but at a higher price. Dirty Little Rabbits, an alternative rock band, is featuring Clown from Slipknot, a hardcore metal rock band. Songs available on their myspace show Dirty Little Rabbits to be a band with clever, wicked guitar, bass and drum harmonics, as well as whip-smart vocals that come together to make an iron-hot alt-rock sound, that's very different, but catchy. The melodies, and lyrics hold a mean, energy that's exciting and addictive. According to Lawrence.com it's between $11-13. It would be worth the extra money, but I'm not sure I'll want to be alone at that show, when I could be with friends somewhere else.

Another Monday night show is at the Replay Lounge for just $2. Spirits of the Red City, and The Photo Atlas are playing folk pop rock. The Replay is a good venue because it's cheap, there's a bar outside for the smokers, and both a stage inside, and outside. Depending on the weather, the bands may be outside. Spirits of the Red City have a nostalgic, folk sound, with pop vocals and drums and classical instrumentals using cello, violas, as well as songs with trumpet, banjo, accordion and ukulele. It's difficult to categorize this band, but their myspace offers some fantastic songs.

The rest of the week, I can't say that I recognize any good shows coming up until Friday.
I will be out of town for a GREAT show in St. Louis Friday night, but for everyone in town, here's what I'd do if I was in Lawrence Friday night:

The Irietions are playing at the Jazzhaus at 10 p.m. for $4. The reggae jam band puts on a fun show. As I recall I reviewed a show of theirs a few weeks ago or so. But if that's not your cup of tea, or you're not 21, there's another great show the same night.

Eagle Scout is opening for Rooftop Vigilantes at the Replay Lounge at 10 p.m. for $2. Rooftop Vigilantes are your classic local-band-making-it-big. The pop-rock quartet started here in Lawrence, but have often been seen playing shows in Kansas City. They've been written about in publications like The Pitch, and show great potential for the future.

I'll be in St. Louis Friday, seeing Sound Tribe Sector 9, one of my favorite bands of all time. I saw them at the Pageant in St. Louis last year, when they came the same time of year. My Dad and Stepmom live there, so I have a place to stay, and several of my friends go each year, which makes the show really great. This year STS9 is playing two sets, Friday and Saturday night. I'll only be going Friday, but several friends are going to Saturday night's show. I hope to write a review of the show soon after I return Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment