Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Early weekend previews

This weekend there are plenty of shows, but nothing that I'm 100% sure I'm going to. However, tonight and tomorrow night, there are some good-sounding concerts that I hope to attend.

Tonight: Wednesday, March 10, at the Jackpot at 10, Tyler Gregory is having a CD release party.
It's $5-7 according to Lawrence.com. Some friends are going, so I'm tempted to go, simply to hang out with them, and see a new show.
Tyler Gregory busks downtown all the time. Just the other night his strong, minstrel's voice, and clean guitar strums filled the night with music outside the bars on Mass street. His blues, folk, americana style is something virtually anyone could enjoy, no matter their normal tastes.

Tomorrow night: Thursday, March 11, there are two shows going on. North Mississippi Allstars Hill Country Revue is playing at the Bottleneck for $16. I've seen the North Mississippi Allstars before. I'm guessing it's mostly the same band. As I recall, their hard-rock style bluegrass, funky jams are a special blend that's hard to describe, let alone compare. The lead singer, who switches between guitar, mandolin - and for a few songs the drummer sings, he covers drums - is a man of great energy and wicked skill. The bassist, a big, young fellow with a lot of heart and some funky fingers, gives songs a hot beat and fun rhythm with his bass lines and solos. The drummer is also young, but energetic, with crazy, wild passion both on percussion and when he sings and plays guitar for his songs.
At the same time Fuzz Nasty will be stirring up some "old-school funk", James Brown style at the Jazzhaus for $5. I've never seen Fuzz Nasty, but several friends are planning to go, so I'm fairly sure I'll have a better time there than at the Bottleneck. The price difference is not a big factor, since North Mississippi Allstars are easily worth $16 to see in a venue as intimate at the Bottleneck, however I am not rolling in the dough at the moment, so I'm going to stick with my friends and rage the Jazzhaus.

I'll update if I find out about anything really exciting this weekend. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment