Saturday, January 9, 2010

Catch up: New Years Eve Mountain Sprout and Split Lip Rayfield rock the Bottleneck, then January 8th, 2010, Jabberjosh and others play the same venue

It's been a hell of a holiday season, and I haven't been able to update this blog in far too long. Apologies. But, here I am with stories to tell from the Bottleneck, one of my favorite venues in Lawrence.
First, let's jump back to New Year's Eve. Yes I know it's been over a week, but seriously, life has been crazy since before that day, and that day alone was as crazy as they get.
My friends live a block away from downtown Lawrence, just two blocks from the Bottleneck itself. So, long before the show was to start, they held a potluck party at their house, with a keg of fiercely strong, but also very flavorful beer from Free State, called Quad, I believe. Despite the strong turn-out for the party, the keg would outlast us all, and live on to help make me and one of my friends sick another day.
The night started off with a terrible twist, as my friends who had not purchased their tickets two days before, with me and my friend, discovered that the show had sold out. Thank god they were able to find tickets for sale on craigslist, and in the end everyone made it to the show, including a few who snuck in
Finally, there at the show, we enjoyed getting warmed up, hot, and hotter still, under the waves of energy blasting from Mountain Sprout as they jammed a fantastic set. Before long the entire crowd was moving and shaking to those dance-able bluegrass tunes. I have always enjoyed Mountain Sprout since I first heard a CD of theirs while resting with some friends between shows at Wakarusa this summer. But their live sets are the best. Especially when they're drinking. At Cannabis revival, a few months ago in Joplin, MO, there was no drinking, (except for one of my friends, who ironically got sick from drinking that night), and the band was a tad more docile than usual. But when they're chugging beer between songs, with an energetic (drinking) crowd dancing before them, you can see the passion and fury they pour into their instruments. Their songs are all hilarious and inspiring, and they alone make a show great.
Split Lip Rayfield leaped right on after Mountain Sprout was finished, successfully holding on to the momentum the Arkansas-based Mountain Sprout had gained with the crowd. Classic after classic Split Lip songs kept us dancing, singing and celebrating. The New Year was rung in, and after 1:00 Split Lip started playing their encore. I realized I had yet to hear my very favorite song; Used to Call Me Baby, I had to hear it. I started shouting "Used to call me baby! Hey! Play Used to Call Me Baby, it's my favorite song!" And lo and behold! The band began to play the tune, and I screamed and shouted for joy, and the crowd followed.
The rest of the night was fun with my friends, and I'm really glad it all worked out the way it did.

Then there was a lull, as I had little spending money and no knowledge of any good shows. Then an old friend texted me out of the blue to hang out. She told me about a show on Friday night, and after she played me a few songs of one of the bands that was going to play: Jabberjosh, I decided I would try to see them.
We wound up going to the show together, and hung out with the vocalist/bassist from Jabberjosh and member of the band Baiowolf, and then saw one of the other bands, and then Jabberjosh play. I'm afraid I'm not sure what other band I saw, but they sounded good. The entire line-up last night was Townie Time, Mansion, Baiowolf, Jabberjosh, Zach Clancy, and The 3 Amigos. I believe I saw Zach Clancy play his long-as-hell drum solo, which was impressive to say the least.
Jabberjosh is just two brothers. One plays the bass and screams into a microphone, but thankfully the vocals are barely audible. His bass-playing is very good however. And meanwhile his brother rocks out on the drums like nobody's business. The drums carry the songs, and they are fast and clever beats that make it hard to stand still. Together, they have a good sound, and lasting songs that I wouldn't mind having on my ipod.
I was disappointed with my friend I had brought to the that night, and when other friends invited me over to drink I was happy to find that she could get a ride with one of the band members, and left. I was sorry to miss the other bands, but I hope to hear them some other time. I have heard of Baiowolf before, and will try to see them next time I hear they're playing around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment