Tuesday, January 19, 2010

From Quiet Arms and The Irietions bring crowds into the Jackpot twice in one night

Last Friday night I was tempted to go to a number of shows downtown. I had high hopes that I might be able to see everything in the same night, but it would have required more money than I had for music that night, and I had a flight to Miami early in the morning, so I only saw a couple of shows at the Jackpot, stopping at a couple of friends' places in between for some rest and relaxation before the bands I wanted to see came on.

I'm sorry that I couldn't put this review up sooner, but I opted to spare myself the torture of lugging my laptop through three airports, only to remember that my Grandparents don't have internet in their ancient house on Miami Beach. So, I'm back, and here's how these bands sounded:

My friend Josh' band, From Quiet Arms was playing an early all-ages show at the Jackpot. The show was for American Low Life's EP release. Building Rome, and The Head-On Collision also played. However, I only got to the show in time for From Quiet Arms' first song, and stood with Josh' other friends, cheering after every song. The crowd started off quiet, they didn't appear to be warmed up by the other bands very much, but As soon as From Quiet Arms got going, so did the audience. The band's harmony, beats, rhythm are all obviously the result of hard work, practice, and natural talent. I know the band members are pretty close, and it shows in how in-sync their parts are. I could hardly believe a 6 piece band of such young men could be so...professional. The band has a special sound that's like a blend of punk and metal with a hint of emo to it, that actually is good. I plan on a preview every time I hear From Quiet Arms is playing again.

After the show I stopped off at a friend's house. Two of my friends are also friends of Josh, I learned, but sadly they did not arrive at the Jackpot until just after the band finished. So, what to do? Bounce back to their crib for some cool chillin', naturally. Then, Josh' band was having an after-party that I had to check out. It was a good time, but I timed myself just right, so I would return to the Jackpot for the Irietions'.

Lucky me; I came back to the Jackpot just before the band came on, and saw another friend, who I sat with until the songs started. The Jackpot is a small, narrow venue, and sometimes I feel kind of awkward there alone. Even with friends, it's just...so small. But, after I had a couple of drinks I felt much more comfortable to dance a little to the awesome Reggae beats of the Irietions. The Irietions were playing with Checkered Beats, and Hector the Selector, but I arrived after they had played.

The same time the Irietions were on, Euforquestra played at the Bottleneck. I think one of my friends went to the show, but I have not heard from him if he did, or if it was good, but I recall the album of theirs he played for me at his house sounded good.

Another show at the Granada sounded tempting, but hearing that a certain person would be at the show made me happy to choose between the Irietions and Euforquestra. But, I was invited to that show by a couple of friends that went, and afterward I heard great things about it. The DJs and artists performing were all electronic, but other then that I don't know much about any of them. Lawrence.com lists them as follows; Kundalini Rising 3 with Eskimo, Alex B, Clandestine, and EZ brothers. The show was $10, which I had, but was reluctant to spend, but from what I've heard and the pictures I've seen, it would have been way more than worthwhile. I will make sure and check out any of these artists next time I hear about a show of theirs.
I like the Irietions, don't get me wrong, but I've heard them before, I realized, and they're good Reggae, but Electronic has a special place in my nerdy heart.

Now for a re-iteration of a show preview: Tea Leaf Green will be playing with Elmwood at the Bottleneck for $13. I hope a few friends might join me to hear this Wakarusa regular. Tea Leaf Green is a pretty cool Jam band, and with the right crowd, this show could be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment