Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Potbilly (not Potbelly) shakes The News Room on December 22, 2009

I know this blog is called "Nightlife in Lawrence", but having several friends who have moved to Kansas City since I first met them in Lawrence, I often go to the city to see shows. Those shows are usually big bands playing at big venues. But tonight I had the rare treat of seeing a friend play with his band, at a small, intimate venue where the small crowd could really feel the music.
My friend Josh Inman plays the bass for the band Potbilly (previously called Potbelly). I've known Josh over a year now, and on top of being a good friend, Josh is a skilled Bassist. He and the singer, who also plays lead guitar, and the rhythm guitarist come together in a strong, steady harmony that is easy to sink into.
I was told the band was "a funky kind of blue-grass" but personally I thought their songs carried a blue-grass sound, with the beats, lyrics and attitude of the blues. Sitting right beside the band, in the small, narrow News Room, I could hear the intricate detail of every chorus and verse, solo and jam the three boys put into their songs.
The venue, a small bar in Kansas City, The News Room, was surprisingly small, to try and have a three-piece electric guitar band playing, but it made the music that much more concentrated and powerful.
I look forward to seeing Potbilly again, hopefully in a larger venue, with a bigger crowd. Josh told me they were scheduled to play twice in January. I believe the dates are the 17th and the 22nd. I believe one of those shows will be at the Granada in Lawrence, with Deadman Flats also playing! Deadman Flats is my favorite local blue-grass band, and they are all good friends with Josh. I'm positive that show will be ridiculous, and cannot wait to go!
More info as I find it and remember to put it on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment