Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sonic Sutra rocks the Jazzhaus

My night began late, when I went over to a friends' to hang out. We considered going to the Jazzhaus for a show. A friend of ours was there and said it was good. I thought I might have heard of Sonic Sutra before, but I was not sure. We debated staying in and relaxing for the night, but my indecisive partner in crime left the final decision to me.
Despite a long day (I partied hard the night before, and only got 6 hours of sleep, and a long, steady hangover at work all day), the busiest Friday I've ever had, I still felt adventurous, so I said "Why not?" and we went.
Entering the comfortably filled in bar, I heard jam band music that I could easily get down to. Because the folks at the Jazzhaus were sensible enough to have a solid staff behind the bar, I had no trouble getting a drink. After a couple of songs the band was taking their set break. It seems we had really gotten there late.
The band was relatively large, with a bassist, guitarist, drummer, keyboard, and one of the bartenders from the Jazzhaus playing tambourine and other small rhythm instruments when she wasn't singing with her amazing voice (she basically rules Karaoke night on Mondays). The bassist played some funky lines that I could not stop following, because the guitarist's insane speed and range of notes was so hard to follow I thought I was drunker than I could have been.
All the band members were clearly talented, but the most impressive part of their performance was how they came together and made a long, beautiful, organic jam out of every song they played. Whether it was an original tune, or a cover of a famous song, the band made them their own.
But even as the band left the stage and the crowd dispersed to get drinks, seats, or cigarettes, I saw that the crowd was an interesting blend of old people (we're talking 60s) and kids my own age - many who I know, and was pleased to see at what turned out to be a fantastic show.
The band came back on and the music got even better! Some of the band's longer jam songs really remind me of the kind of lengthy, epic, upbeat, dancy songs I might hear at a music festival. Sonic Sutra did a cover of a Michael Jackson song that was fantastic too.
Over all I have to say that from the first few songs of the second set, I knew this was a band I need to keep my eye on. I want to make sure and hear them again, and I hope to show more of my friends next time too.
I was one the extremely luck few who received one of the 6 free CDs the band was giving away, and I can't wait to hear the rest of the CD.
I want anyone reading this to try and find Sonic Sutra's myspace, and find out when they're playing next. Be there. It is one of the best shows I've seen from a band I've never heard before in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment